Sunday, October 01, 2006

Bookending the Summer with Lobster

Alexandra Wentworth, in her WASP Cookbook, writes that One Must Bookend the Summer with Lobster. Loyal readers might have thought I'd done that in Maine, but for me, the summer officially ends on Columbus Day, when Abbott's Lobster in the Rough closes for the season. Dinner last night was a hot lobster roll: a Connecticut specialty involving not the mayonnaisey, celeried salad served elsewhere, but instead a quarter-pound scoop of pure lobster adulterated only by fresh, sweet melted butter. It is the food of the gods. I once went to a conference in Boston and arranged my entire itinerary to rent a car and fly back out of Hartford so that I could drive to Noank, CT and get my fix, since such things are not available in California. Last night I gilded the lily by also eating a bowl of their lobster bisque, which is pretty much a hot, thick lobster milkshake, enriched with extra butter and sherry. All this after a pre-birthday indulgence of a breakfast Dirt Ball at the Bantam Bread Company -- a nutmeg muffin dipped in melted butter and rolled in sugar. Gee, good thing the Finns are known for their light 'n' healthy spa cuisine! My hope is that a good sauna or two will sweat all the butter out of me.

2 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ersatz?!!! Mais, non!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/03/imposter.lobsters.ap/index.html

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Mrs. Delicious said...

Page not found!? Ersatz indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home