Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Secret Confessions

Four things I like but shouldn't, and one thing I don't like but should.

1. Boursin cheese. I know this is basically "gourmet" over-spiced processed cheese food, but I cannot get enough of it. On crackers it is one of my favorite dinners.

2. Vitamin Water. Yes, it is Gatorade for Grownups, but it is not too sweet, it has clever packaging, it has a little bit of nutritional value... maybe? Anyway, delicious and so refreshing. I am clearly in their Target Demographic.

3. Lipton's Onion Soup Mix. Monosodium glutamate with fake onion flavoring. However, I find it impossible to make a sour cream dip that even comes close to touching the deliciousness of this one. Wait, maybe I shouldn't admit my weakness for sour cream dip either.

4. Girly Beer. I admit it publicly. I love girly beer. Ruby Ale, anything with apricot, anything with "winter spices", Hoegaarden, pumpkin ales, lambics, sweet Belgian things, hefeweizens, Blanche de Brooklyn. I am losing vast amounts of cred with Tom as he reads this right now. I do still love the stouts! And the Black Butte Porter! But I am now coming clean with my furtive, forbidden love of sweet, light, non-bitter beers.

5. I don't really like pasta much. Evidently I am among the .00000001% of people who feel this way. I am not that into bread either, except as a vehicle for black truffle butter at Le Petit Cafe, but pasta may be my biggest "meh" food. I will eat it if served it, and Asian noodle soups are fine by me, but I don't make it often, and when I do eat it, in macaroni and cheese or something, I like it seriously overcooked. Al dente is lost on me. Andy dearly hoped that our trip to Italy would change my mind about this, but it didn't. Alas.

7 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger Flutephobia said...

I too love the Ruby Ale! I wish I could buy it online. I do not care about how girly it is; it consistently refreshes and instills good cheer!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger CM said...

i love all those things too! well not really vitamin water. but i LOVE boursin. someone gave me a recipe where you shove a brick of boursin up a chicken's bum, plop it in the oven and VOILA! gourmet meal! it comes out pretty well.

i too love onion dip. it's one of those things i don't encounter much but when i do, all bets are off. i must snarf.

and there is always a six pack of Pyramid Apricot in my fridge.

i think you've got the makings of a pretty happening cocktail party if you put all those things together. well, minus the vitamin water. that can be the hangover cure.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger m said...

yes, my love for pasta has faded over the years... I couldn't get enough of it in high school, but somehow it just doesn't get me going anymore. Perhaps it's because it's the vegetarian's default menu item and I've had enough. Or the whole grains brainwashing I've received from my mother (and, more indisidiously, the anti-carbs onslaught in LA)... but yeah, everytime N tries to make rotini and red sauce I have to do a lot to pretend it's what I wanted for dinner.

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waddya mean, youse don't like pasta.
Waddya, a commie?

 
At 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there I go again drinking all the girly stuff again. We were in Philly last weekend and I got a girly martini. However, the concensus mensi (decision of the table) was that I had the best drink.

 
At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um that should be mensae.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Deepfry said...

mmmm....boursin! SO SO good!! and i'm with you on the pasta...though no doubt it would be delicious if drowned in boursin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home