Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Hodgepodge

This is a rambling post covering odd topics. For example, I am not sure that I have ever discussed Amazing Doughnuts I Have Known on this blog. Those three doughnuts are the doughnut I had at Voodoo Doughnut in Portland, OR that consisted of a maple bar with two strips of bacon lying wantonly atop the frosting; the coconut doughnut from Whitney Dougnut in Hamden, CT; and the Grilled Doughnut from the Yankee Doodle right here in the Have, mere steps from where I work. That one they split in half and grill in butter and bacon grease, then serve it to you with a couple of extra pats of butter. And if you think that's decadent, wait until I make the Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding that appeared in Food and Wine a couple of months ago.

Also, I have to apologize for maligning the sushi place here in New Haven called Miya's. See, when I last lived here, the place almost gave me food poisoning. The sushi chef was so nice to me, giving me all this free stuff, including free mussels that he probably just needed to get rid of. As soon as I ate them I wondered whether I would live to see the morning, and wrote Andy a note before I went to bed telling him that if I died, he should sue Miya's. Here is the thing: since then, they have gotten a new, incredible chef. The menu changes all the time and is like reading a novel. The roll combinations -- something I don't order very oftne because they are too filling and bland -- are filled with the most bizarre and great combinations of ingredients. Truly "American Psycho" food -- if you have ever read that book, you know what I am talking about. '80s chefs gone overboard with their starfruit and goat cheese combinations. But this is actually good. I owe a debt of gratitude to Michele and Burke for convincing me to give it another go, and I owe an apology to everyone to whom I have blithely told "oh god, Miya's is the worst sushi I have ever had."

Another debt of gratitude to Michele and Burke for introducing me to Mile-High Coconut Cake from the Good News Cafe. The cake was almost wet with coconut syrup and filled in three layers with moist coconut meringue. MMMMMMMMMMM.

On a non-food-related note, I hear a rumor that the City of New Haven is holding a raffle. The lucky winner holding the Golden Ticket gets to press the button setting off the blast which will take down the Coliseum's parking garage in a huge crash of steel and cement and exploding and seismic events. This is due to happen sometime mid-January. I need to know where to get these tickets! If you know, please share.

ETA: Andy found the link! If you would like a chance to blow up the Coliseum, donate some canned food to the Connecticut Food Bank.

1 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wheeeeeeee!!! I'm so happy you've enjoyed the cake and our favorite sushi bar! Now we must go to the Firehouse and drink drink drink!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home