Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Quick Reviews

Thumbs up: Supper. The expanding Frank's empire can do no wrong. Especially when the appetizer of burrata mozzarella turns out to be AN ENTIRE BURRATA MOZZARELLA on tomatoes and basil with oil and salt and pepper and bread. We pierced it with a fork and the cream inside burst forth. Our plate runneth over. We followed this with a nutmeg-and-chocolate-sauced venison loin with dandelion greens and a plate of fresh pappardelle and mushrooms sauteed in oil and cream. Thus we decided against dessert at Chikalicious. Who needs it?

Thumbs down: Blue Ribbon Bakery. We waited half an hour longer than the host told us we would. The downstairs is lovely and cozy, but we didn't sit down there. The portions were miniscule. They brought me the wrong dish, and then didn't bring me the right one until the rest of our table was finished eating. No need to return.

Thumbs up: New refrigerator! It's silent! It's drip-free! It has working crisper drawers! Thank you, Rocco!

Thumbs down: US Postal Service. In what universe does it take more than a week for a jar of pickled okra to travel from New Haven to Boston? I should have driven it to Sol myself.

Thumbs up: Steak. I can't remember the last one I had. Wait, maybe it was in 1998, when, on the hottest day of the year, Garett and I drank a bottle of Scotch and decided to make a dinner of minute steak and rice. Bad idea. No wonder I haven't had a steak since. I had a New York Strip at Union League the other night and it was sublime. I almost wish I hadn't liked it so much. Now Peter Luger is calling my name with passionate intensity.

Thumbs down: Dimpled arms. Time to lay off the steaks and carbs, right when it's become winter and I NEED THEM.

3 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh I loved supper. We had such a good dinner sitting outside one night. Go early or you wait a while. Yum yum. New Haven needs a Supper.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Mrs. Delicious said...

That is EXACTLY what we were saying! Why can't New Haven have a wonderful, reasonably inexpensive neighborhood restaurant? It is such a void here. We went early so did not have to wait, which made our experience even lovelier.

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had fun at the demolition. We got some good video shots.

We shall celebrate my birthday at a better time.

In the meantime, I now have a proper website up. Nothing, really, as yet. But I thought you should know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home