Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Eating Everything in the House

I hate the feeling before going on trips that I need to eat everything in the refrigerator before I leave. I cannot shake the "there are people starving in Armenia" guilt that my parents very thoroughly instilled in me at a young age, and it is what keeps me plump -- I HAVE to eat everything on my plate or else, uh, someone else won't get to eat the food that was on my plate? I don't know. I think it is more guilt about having wasted the money to buy the food in the first place, and then further guilt for the farmer's wasted labor in growing the food, the wasted water and soil and truck fuel to transport it to me, the wasted packaging and PLU stickers.

Anyway. We stupidly went to Costco and Trader Joe's last week to load up on food in an attempt to save money before the trip to Italy by eating exclusively at home. While great in theory, this actually meant that in a week's time, Andy and I will have been forced to consume:
- 1 giant package of portabello mushroom caps
- 1 giant bag of sugar snap peas
- 6 red, yellow, and orange bell peppers
- 1 giant bag of spinach
- 1 family-size vat of Total yogurt
- 1 bag of new potatoes
- 2 large red onions
- 1 half-gallon of milk
- 1 gallon jug of retsina
- 8 limes
- 1 cup of tzaziki sauce (we had this the other night -- as much as I love Total brand products, it's better to make your own.)
- 2 giant pieces chorizo

Not to mention all the other food that has been hanging out in the fridge that we don't want to throw out -- the 4 different cheeses, the eggs, the lime simple syrup. So far I have been impressed with the healthfulness of our eating, but it also kind of seems like we're eating the same thing every night, just cut up differently and with different spices.

If anyone has a good idea for a way to use up another pound of snap peas within the next three days, please let me know ASAP.

5 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger jammies said...

last night i sadly mistook shelling peas for sugar snap peas. book a big bite out of one, shell and all. ick.

p.s. hi mrs. delicious!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger jammies said...

actually i Took a bite. didn't Book a bite. :)

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Mrs. Delicious said...

Hi jammies! That is the cutest photo of you!

Peas in shells I don't care much for in general, I have to say. Snow peas, shelling peas... I bought the snap peas because I felt I should, because they were in season, but now I kind of regret it.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger jammies said...

nothing worse than regrettable peas.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger CM said...

a GALLON JUG OF RETSINA???

what on earth!!??? do they even make such a thing??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home