Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Falling Down on the Job

Dear readers, lest you think I have abandoned this blog, let me reassure you that I have not. I have just not been eating well or interestingly lately. Most nights we're too tired to put in the effort to even boil potatoes, not to mention that I've got about 83 cents in my bank account at the end of the month, so lately we've been eating things like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese with bacon in it, or a Boboli pizza crust with pesto and spinach and olives salvaged from the back of the fridge. Sad but true. I told Andy that once I get paid, I am going on a week-long sushi Cleanse. All fish, rice, and vegetables, all the time.

It is only slightly heartening to me that no one else has posted in a while, either. All my regular food blog links have been dormant for a week or more. Are we all just getting through these last few days of winter on the stale dregs of our larders, preparing to emerge with endless dishes of beets and leeks and asparagus and rhubarb when the temperature finally hits 60?

3 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger acechick said...

Try my 'poor gourmet dinner' recipe from Delia
( http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/oven-baked-risotto-carbonara,1139,RC.html )

I usually have the ingredients hanging around the fridge/pantry (pretty standard stuff) and it makes a tasty and filling meal to make you forget the lack of funds!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Mrs. Delicious said...

Oh My God, Pauline, that is the easiest and most satisfying poor end-of-the-month meal I have ever seen! Thank you so much for sharing that. YUM.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger m said...

there's something about these past few weeks that's totally meant ignoring the larder, even in a place where it might be in the sixties in March. Yesterday I improvised a tortilla soup by fudging this recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108033

only i was too lazy to fry anything and just used whatever the hell I had to fill in the gaps -- canned tomatoes, canned chiles, tiny random mexican chiles, ancient corn tortillas, chips... it came out great! I recommend it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home