Monday, March 26, 2007

Dark Horse

Now that my job is really for realz, Andy and I have been beginning to get a glimmer in our eye about maybe possibly thinking about perhaps looking at buying a house. Please do not get too excited about this. After our one visit to an open house yesterday -- which mostly just opened our eyes to what a disappointment $300,000 can buy you in Connecticut, even in a dying industrial town -- we were feeling a little blue on a gray day. Fortunately, inspiration struck on our way out of Shelton and we hung a quick U-turn back to Derby and Roseland Apizza.


Photo by Roadfood.com

I am here to tell you that you have not eaten New Haven pizza until you have eaten in Derby. In fact, New Haven pizza should actually be called Derby pizza. It was that good. The white clam pie we shared makes former-favorite Frank Pepe's look tough and chewy. You heard it here: Roseland puts Pepe's to shame. TO SHAME! The crust was a minor miracle of thinness, crispiness, and give -- utter Platonic pizza crust perfection. I was also blown away by our red pie with "muzz" and meatballs. Andy was not as convinced that the red pie was better than Modern's, but I do believe that Roseland's is now my favorite pizza in Connecticut.

I thought I might actually be smitten by God with lightning when I left the restaurant after voicing such heresy, but instead we emerged from the dark dining room into a newly bright, sunny evening. I think it was a sign. The housing stock in Derby suddenly looked much more charming.

3 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you mean "moots."

Red pie with moots.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Mrs. Delicious said...

The waitress pronounced it "moots" as normal, but it was written out on the menu as "muzz"!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Twink said...

Pls. take me there the next time I am in the Have!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home