Monday, March 05, 2007

Lemon Joy

What is better in the dead of the New England winter than your best friend flying across the country from California with a carry-on bag full to the brim of MEYER LEMONS ALL FOR YOU?!?!



It doesn't get better than that, actually. Thank you, Garett!

I used some of them to make a sunshine-filled Meyer lemon cake for Paula's wonderful dinner party on Saturday. The recipe doesn't include any butter; only eggs, sugar, ground almonds, and the tiniest amount of flour to bind. I glazed it with a little watered-down Meyer lemon marmalade from Frog Hollow Farm and frosted it with whipped cream to cover my sin of not checking on it often enough as it baked in a dark pan (oops). The result was very lemony, but as Jen described it, it had a very "kosher for Passover" texture -- not the light 'n' lemony flourless chocolate cake consistency I had hoped for. I still have some lemons left over, so I suspect there might be some Meyer lemon curd in my immediate future.

The dinner party, though. Ohhhhhhhhhh.... I sing a song of Osso Buco. I must be the last person to have tasted this ultimate meat stew/sauce/ambrosia, but now I want to make it every night for the rest of my life. Better yet, I will ask Paula to make it for me every night, since hers is now my gold standard, and also because she owns a marrow scoop. Which I, as the "guest of honor" (I am still blushing over this, but the news of my job now being permanent called for some celebration), got to use to scoop and scrape every last melting liquid oozy drop of marrow from the center of the bones. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Paula, let me learn to cook at your apron strings! This is kind of what it looked like, except hers was even better:


Photo courtesy Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

2 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be happy to take any extra lemons off of your hands. And in case it's too late, any extra curd.

You know my address.

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas! Garrett was here! Next time you talk to him, tell him I said hi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home