Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Happy Birthday, Andy!

Today is Andy's geburtstag! We are going out to dinner at the Union League Cafe, which we decided on only after our first three restaurant choices were unavailable for one reason or another. It will be good, if stuffy and weird. It has been a while since I have been to a Fancy French Restaurant. I wonder what I should wear? Anyway, then we are going to go see the new Wong Kar-Wai movie, which he wants to see.

This morning I made him a special Birthday Breakfast Doughnut. I took a doughnut from Bishop's Orchards and warmed it in the toaster, then put a scoop of strawberry ice cream on it and stuck a candle in the ice cream. Somehow he seemed a little less excited about this than I was.

This is not the doughnut I made for him, but you get the idea.



One of the best birthday traditions I have ever heard of is the one practiced by my friends Dayna and Patrick. Every year on Dayna's birthday, Patrick goes to the local doughnut shop and gets a wide variety of delicious doughnuts. He brings them home, and then Dayna gets the incredible luxury of being able to take a bite out of each doughnut and then throw the rest away if she so chooses. Mmmmm, birthday de-luxe.

2 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Silver Fox.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger CM said...

For some reason i have been getting a free subscription to Cook's Country, the folksy offshoot of Cook's Illustrated. There was a letter in there from an old man who wanted to recreate his wife's favorite orange doughnuts for her birthday as a surprise, and needed help finding the recipe. Ok, first of all, orange doughnuts are totally intriguing (to me, at least) and second, I get a little choked up when I think of some old codger sneaking out of bed early to prepare a special surprise doughnut breakfast for his wife. So yeah, a birthday doughnut is very thoughtful. You can tell Andy to expect another one when he's 80.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home