Monday, August 22, 2005

Party Dilemma

Andy's birthday is tomorrow, so in order to celebrate it right, we have invited some friends over on Sunday for a little fiesta. The problem is that we have not yet unpacked our house. Yes, we moved a little over 6 weeks ago. But it has been a busy 6 weeks! We went to three weddings, one of them in Italy, and then had friends come visit us from Los Angeles! Do not blame us for still living out of boxes. We made some progress last night, but right now desperation is kind of setting in for me and I am just hoping for several cool nights in a row so that we can have loads of furniture-arranging fun.

The important thing, though, is what to make for the party? I made a trial-run plum-and-tarragon tart last night. It was delicious for breakfast this morning, but the crust was not quite there. It was so hot yesterday when I was making the pastry dough that the butter was melting as I cut it into the flour, so that might have had something to do with it. And I should have followed my instincts -- the recipe didn't call for pre-baking the tart shell, so I didn't, but I regretted it. Anyway, now I know better. I think we will have that, and a peach-blueberry cake that beckons from the cover of this month's issue of Gourmet:



and honey-lavender ice cream to go with it, and some delicious drinks called Bee Stings, and then I am not sure what else. Garett suggested Bluefish Balls with Fennel Mayonnaise, which sounds incredible, but I do not want my house to smell like Long John Silver's when the guests arrive. Andy wants to make up some cheese plates, which also sounds wonderful, but I do want to have a semi-substantial hors d'oeuvre available. Preferably something fatty, starchy, and sponge-like in order to soak up the alcohol in our guests' stomachs. But also something easy to prepare, so I can pretend to be nonchalant about the party prep. What is this dream hors d'oeuvre? Does it exist?

Edited to report that yes, it does exist! But it might be too much to have these AND a cheese platter.

3 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please have leftovers left over and ready when Ted and I return.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Mrs. Delicious said...

I am SO sad that you cannot come. But I will package up some of whatever hors d'oeuvres that I end up making and slip them through your mail slot. Or maybe I will just leave them in the bag of kitty litter in your garage.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Deepfry said...

i s'pose baked brie in august wouldn't be very pleasant, eh? b/c it's certainly fatty, starchy and cheesy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home