Monday, September 19, 2005

An Anti-Hipster Rant

When Ryan told me that he was planning a trip to Freeman's, that should have tipped me off. And if not that, then Janine's remark that it was one of her favorite restaurants should have been a clear sign. These are the two most young-and-fabulous people I know in New York, and they have their ears to the streets when it comes to of-the-moment restaurants. The problem with hidden restaurants that serve excellent food is that the people who work there sometimes have teensy-tiny little ego problems. Sometimes I can get past this -- I did triumphantly get a reservation for four at The French Laundry last December -- but sometimes it drives me completely insane. Especially when trying to book a reservation for 10 people for a friend's pre-wedding party for which invitations have already been sent.

Brinn at Freeman's, if you are reading this, just fucking CALL ME BACK. And fax things to me when you tell me you will, not two days later, especially when your own restaurant policies dictate that I make the reservation 4 days in advance. It is too late to make a reservation anywhere else, and I am uncomfortable with the semi-reserved table I seem to currently have with you.

I will post later about whether or not it was all worth it in the end. It seems like it will be. One of the appetizers is "devils on horseback". ???!!!

2 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Mona said...

OHmygod I love this! You are hilarious!! I just put up my own rant and rave about the hipster NYT dining guides..love the recipes can't stand the restaurant reviews. So, what happened?? I'm dying to know! I'm from Northern California but haven't gotten the opp. to eat at French Laundry yet, is it worth it?

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Mrs. Delicious said...

Hi Mona! Thanks for reading -- in the end we had to wait a goddamned HOUR -- after talking to Brinn for a week every day on the phone -- because Ms. Johansson's presence in the restaurant necessitated massive shifting of all the reservations, evidently. We were incensed. But no matter -- the food was actually terrific -- I had the "spicy fisherman's stew" with grouper, fennel and aioli -- and we didn't pay a cent for our alcohol all night. Thanks, Miss Scarlett!

Also: The French Laundry -- very much worth it. Don't go to Per Se, though, because they failed to hire Siobhan last week. Their loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home